About this book:
In Aikido Basics, the beginning student will find invaluable advice and information for the study of this popular form of martial arts. Martial Arts Hall of Fame inductee, Dang Phong, shares his secrets to building a successful training program, testing for belt promotion, and understanding and developing Ki, the energy used in aikido. The author incorporates a discussion of aikido's origin, its history and philosophical underpinnings, and an explanation of the different branches of aikido.The book includes:
About the Authors:
- The origins of aikido - philosophy, history, and different styles.
- What really happens in an aikido class - invaluable tips on choosing the right school, getting ready for your fist class, and basic training methods.
- The essential elements - stances, strikes, grabs, throws, and pins.
- How to complement your aikido training with ki exercises, multiple-person training, and freestyle exercises.
- Effective ways to succeed in aikido - create a training program, test for belt promotion, and participate in competitions and tournaments.
- Resources that can help you further develop your aikido training.
Phong Thong Dang holds a sixth degree black belt in aikido, a sixth degree black belt in tae kwon do, a fifth degree black belt in judo, and an eighth degree black belt in Vietnamese Shaolin kung fu. The World Martial Arts Hall of Fame inducted Dang twice: once for his expertise in aikido and again for his lifelong dedication to the martial arts. He has been in the martial arts for over fifty years and currently teaches in southern California.
Lynn Seiser is an internationally respected psychotherapist, consultant, and trainer. Seiser has over three decades of martial arts training and experience. He currently holds the rank of Nidan (second degree black belt) in Tenshinkai aikido under Sensei Phong Thong Dang.Product Details:
- Author: Dang Thong Phong , Phong Thong Dang and Lynn Seiser
- Language: English
- Format: Softcover
- Pages: 192
- Publisher: Tuttle Publishing
- Weight: 0.9 Pounds
- Length: 9.8 Inches
- Width: 6.8 Inches
- Height: 0.5 Inches